CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

DIY: Tinting Mason Jars

Sorry I haven't made a post in awhile.  I had a very stressful weekend :( Reese got hurt on Saturday and I ended up having to take her to the vet, but she is doing much better now.  I was able to execute one crafty idea over the weekend though.

As you can tell from previous posts, I like to reuse mason jars.  I replaced our dry erase marker holder (which was previously a red solo cup) with a cute little mason jar.  Over the weekend I found a post where you can color glass with glue and food coloring, so I decided to give it a try on the mason jar.

Supplies:
* Food Coloring
*Elmer's Glue
*Plastic cup
*Paint brush
*Glass jar


First step is to mix you color by adding food coloring to the glue.  You pour a good amount of glue into the plastic cup and ten add in your colors.  I wanted an aqua color so I mixed 1 drop of green and 3 drops of blue.  Mine turned out a little more green than I wanted but it was still a pretty color.  

ooo very blurry, sorry 
After your mix your color, use your paint brush to coat the jar.  Let the jar fully dry (very important) than apply another coat.  I liked the transparency after 2 coats, so I didn't add anymore.  Once the jar is completely jar, your done :)  I didn't think it turned out too bad.  I've heard of using Mod Podge and then baking the jar, so I going to try that this weekend.  This technique is supposed to make the jar look like it's stained.  I can't wait to try it.  Until then, this is the results.

Still wet

Final result.



0 comments:

Post a Comment